[HM] Coordinated efforts in Europe and North Africa to fight against Debt and Austerity.

Auditoría de la Deuda auditoriadeuda.bcn15m en gmail.com
Vie Abr 13 08:45:03 CEST 2012

*#HolaDeudocracia*  join us on TW!

Good morning!

News from Spain and International coordination.  Feel free to use it and
send it anywhere!

*Coordinate**d efforts in Europe and North Africa to* *fight against Debt
and Austerity.*

*The I**nternational Citizen Debt Audit Network – ICAN, has been born under
the slogan "We don’t owe! We won’t pay!", bringing together movements and
networks in different European and North African countries, fighting
austerity measures through the implementation of Citizen Debt Audits.*

*Barcelona, April 13**th* - The First Euro-Mediterranean Meeting of the
newly formed International Network for Citizen Debt Audits, has been held
this weekend in Brussels. Activists from twelve countries participated:
Greece, Ireland, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Poland, United Kingdom, France,
Germany, Belgium, Egypt and Tunisia. The different regions are developing
or initiating Citizen Debt Audits or campaigns against austerity and debt.

During the meeting different organizations, networks and social movements
shared experiences, talking about the type of audits being conducted or
promoted in each country, as well as what type of actions and social
mobilizations strategies are developing in each territory (see appendix for
a list of the different campaigns). Among them, the Spanish Citizen Debt
Audit Platform, “We don’t owe, we won’t pay!”, was presented, which brings
together organizations and social movements in the Spanish State and will
conduct a citizen debt audit in the country.

Beyond the exchange of information on how each country is tackling the debt
situation, the meeting set the foundations for a better communication and
coordination of the international network. It also outlined a common
calendar, which identifies important action dates against debt and
austerity: May 1st Labor Day, Global May protests from May 12th to
15th(coinciding with the first anniversary of “15M/Indignados”
movement in
Spain) and May 16th to 19th protests, actions, rallies and blockades
against the European Central Bank in Frankfurt.

The proposal made by Greece of holding a Global Day of Action against Debt,
Austerity and in solidarity with the Greek people, was warmly welcomed,
probably during the Global Week of Action against Debt and IFIs, held
annually between October 8th and 15th. This year coincides with the 25th
anniversary of the death of Thomas Sankara, President of Burkina Faso,
killed (among other issues) for opposing to payment of debt. It has been
also agreed to study the possibility of a second international meeting,
with greater participation of grassroots activists, and growing presence of
organisations and more countries, probably in Barcelona early autumn 2012.

Greek activists, authors of Debtocracy, put and end to the meeting with the
presentation of Catastroika trailer: *http://www.catastroika.com/*

*CONTACT**.*

For more information on the development of the Euro-Mediterranean Meeting
on Debt and Audits conducted in Brussels or about the Spanish Citizen Debt
Audit Platform, “We don’t owe, we won’t pay!”:
--
*Plataforma Auditoria** Ciudadana de la Deuda, Barcelona.*
*¡NO debemos, NO pagamos!*

*Coordinación Plataforma:*
https://n-1.cc/pg/groups/693621/coordinacin-estatal-15m-auditoria-de-la-deuda/