[Grey-Walter] [ info] copyright en nature

Lluis lluis at antaviana.net
Sat Jan 4 08:30:00 CET 2003

Leve sorpresa al leer el numero de esta semana de Nature.
Parece que para empezar el año la editorial de la prestigiosa Nature
han cambiado un poco su politica de copyright, permitiendo de forma explicita,
por ejemplo que los autores de un articulo puedan tener una copia de este
en su web personal. algo es algo, ahora solo falta que todos los cientificos
se enrollen a publicar sus articulos de nature en su web para
que los podamos encontrar con el google ;)

Policy that allows authors to retain copyright

New services to authors will be announced before long, but perhaps the most significant development on this front is that Nature and all other journals published by the Nature Publishing Group (NPG) have introduced a new policy in relation to copyright. No longer do we require authors of papers to sign away their copyright. Instead, we now ask authors to grant NPG the exclusive licence to publish the paper in all media throughout the world, to translate it into other languages, and to adapt it or license it to others. (If all co-authors are US government employees, slightly different arrangements apply.)

Ownership of copyright remains with the authors. Provided that, when reproducing their contribution or extracts from it, the authors acknowledge the original publication in Nature or other NPG journal, they may reproduce the paper in any printed volume of which they are the authors. Furthermore, they and any academic institution where they work at the time may reproduce the paper without payment for the purpose of course teaching.

Authors may also post a copy of their paper on their own website once the printed edition has been published, provided that they also provide a link from the contribution to Nature's website. "Their own" refers to any site devoted to them, whether owned by them or by a not-for-profit employer. However, it does not mean open archival websites, such as those that host collections of articles by an institution's researchers, which would amount to a breach of our licence.

This policy is being applied retrospectively. Hundreds of thousands of scientists are authors of papers covered by copyright agreements that are still in force, and we cannot renegotiate every agreement. But we are happy to extend to all past authors the rights laid out in the new licence agreements: to re-use the papers in any printed volume of which they are an author; to post a PDF copy on their own (not-for-profit) website; to copy (and for their institutions to copy) their papers for use in coursework teaching; and to re-use figures and tables. For the exact terms and conditions, please see a copy of the licence agreement at http://npg.nature.com/authornews.

--
Lluis - Luther Blisset - Pere Rocallaura
:: http://astramat.com/c/alife.html