[hackmeeting] dyne:bolic

nilo casares nilo.casares en uv.es
Mie Sep 24 10:17:35 CEST 2003

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:05:55 +0200
From: jaromil <jaromil en dyne.org>
To: dynebolic en dyne.org
Subject: [dyne:bolic] dyne:bolic 1.0 codename "MAKROLAB" is OUT! =
FINAL STABLE RELEASE!

  ANNUNCIAZIO'! ANNUNCIAZIO'!      (pepperepeee! peppepereppeppeeee!)

              dyne.org autoproduzioni proudly presents:

           _                  _           _ _        _   ___
        __| |_   _ _ __   ___| |__   ___ | (_) ___  / | / _ \
       / _` | | | | '_ \ / _ \ '_ \ / _ \| | |/ __| | || | | |
      | (_| | |_| | | | |  __/ |_) | (_) | | | (__  | || |_| |
       \__,_|\__, |_| |_|\___|_.__/ \___/|_|_|\___| |_(_)___/
             |___/                           codename MAKROLAB

      dyne:bolic 1.0 FINAL is OUT NOW for IMMEDIATE RELEASE!!!

  developed by rastasoft.org and thousands of people around the world,
    JAH BLESS YOU BROTHERS AND SISTERS, this is RASTA SOFTWARE ! :)

               FREE DOWNLOAD of the RAW ISO CD IMAGE
            ___ _ _   _ http://dynebolic.org _ __  ___ __
            ___ _ _   _ http://dynebolic.org _ __  ___ __
            ___ _ _   _ http://dynebolic.org _ __  ___ __
            ___ _ _   _ http://dynebolic.org _ __  ___ __
            444 MBytes of free software operating system
               (see the download instructions below)

:: WHAT IS DYNE:BOLIC ?

    Dyne:bolic GNU/Linux is a live bootable distribution, an operating
    system which works directly from the CD without the need to install
    or change anything on the hard disk. It is user-friendly, recognizes
    your hardware devices (sound, video, firewire, and USB), and offers a
    vast range of software for multimedia production, streaming, 3D
    modeling, photo, peer-to-peer filesharing, Web browsing and
    publishing, word processing, email, encryption, and networking. It
    also includes games and a world navigator. It does automatic
    clustering, joining the CPU power between any other dyne:bolic on the
    local network, and works on modded XBOX consoles as well.

    dyne:bolic 1.0 it is shaped on the needs of media activists to
    stimulate the production and not only the fruition of digital and
    analog informations.
    It takes birth as a grassroot effort to spread free software and the
    spirit of sharing informations.

    see a more detailed list of features and possibilities, as well a
    list of included applitations, in the dyne:bolic user's manual,
    currently under development:
    __ _ _ ____  _ ___     http://dynebolic.org/manual-in-development

:: CHANGELOG

    This is the long awaited 1.0 version of dyne:bolic.
    It now realizes the first vision i had back in 2001 when i started
    working on it.
    This is a milestone for the project and for my life, being the first
    1.0 release i ever reached in my software developments: so to say,
    i'm happy now :)

    The MAKROLAB release has some new important features, despite the
    announced feature freeze of the beta we still have some juicy news:

    = 1.0 final "MAKROLAB"
     - OpenMosix automatic clustering support (also for xbox!)
     - DRI 3d accelleration on matrox, intel and other cards
     - new iso generator and online updating system
     - new softwares: iceage, mjpegtools, most, gvidm, LiVES,
       e2undel, ntfstools, parted
     - new games: armagetron
     - updated software: perl-5.8.0, irssi-0.8.6, XFree86-4.3
       cardmgr-3.2.3, sylpheed-0.9.6, vim-6.2, e2fsprofs-1.34
     - more supported vga cards and fixes to autodetection
     - fixes to nesting procedure and keyboard setting
     - fix to publicvoice.fm login procedure
     - interactive debug mode at startup
     - xbox fixes: network, audio, joypad
     - new extras: live dyne.org concert in makrolab!

    you can find the complete ChangeLog file including lists of changes
    for past releases (but not for all of them..) at the address
    http://quico.dyne.org/~jaromil/dynebolic/ChangeLog

    if you are interested in development, you'll find project pages of
    dyne:bolic on http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/dynebolic

:: SPOTLIGHTS ON FEATURES

    Dyne:bolic is a distribution with personality! what does this means?
    that some choices have been made in its development courses, to
    distinguish it from other distributions and to avoid a duplicate
    effort or feature overlap - common thing in the free software world
    indeed. some guidelines followed in the making of d:b :

     - you don't install dyne:bolic on your harddisk neither add
       applications, it just comes as is out of the box,
       == it works as it comes and that's it

     - you don't have large quantities of applications to solve a single
       task, no need to lookup different implementations and learn
       multiple softwares doing the same thing.
       == dyne:bolic chooses for you, if you choose dyne:bolic

     - this distribution focuses on multimedia production and not only
       fruition, to enhance the horizontal topology which can shape the
       net nowadays, depending from the softwares available to users.
       == more than free use, free software is free speech

     - dyne:bolic is compiled completely from scratch, is not made out of
       any other distribution, and is currently the creation of a free
       software artisan following his vision, wich doesn't aims to be a
       general solution for everything, but just an artwork.
       == keep it simple, take the best out of that simplicity

    To verify the above, i hope you'll take your time and give it a try!

    Furthermore, let's have a look on some hot features implemented in
    the last 2 years of development: CLUSTERING, NESTING, XBOX,
    PUBLICVOICE.FM, TOP QUALITY SOFTWARES and the WIDE DEVICE SUPPORT

:: CLUSTERING

    This is the most recent and one of the most appealing feature in
    dyne:bolic, thanks to the OpenMosix project implementing this linux
    kernel function, to makrolab.ljudmila.org which gave dyne.org time
    and space to research on the topic. What it is about?

    Basically whenever you boot dyne:bolic on a local network,
    configuring it or having it configured automatically thru DHCP, the
    system automatically discovers for other dyne:bolic running on it and
    joins them in a CLUSTER: which means they SHARE their CPU POWER like
    a "supercomputer" made out of many small computers.

    This function has been something quite hard to implement until today,
    being experienced succesfully just in the research domain, but now
    with dyne:bolic you can have it without even a single click!

    If you boot more dyne:bolic on your network each of them will take
    advantage of others, using up their spare cpu cycles in case of
    inactivity, to accomplish faster to the tasks running on a single
    machine. our motto: EL CALCULO UNIDO JAMAS SERA' VENCIDO! ;)

:: NESTING

    What in dyne:bolic is called NESTING is a truly revolutionary
    approach to the way operating systems have been shaped so far, and
    dyne:bolic is the first (and so far only) distribution really
    implementing it.

    The concept is simple: you don't install anymore the whole operating
    system and applications on your harddisk, but just your data and
    configuration settings. If you want to upgrade your system you simply
    have to get a new CD, and now you can even automatically update it
    from the net. This way you will save considerable amounts of space on
    your storage devices, while gaining better stability and avoiding any
    possibility of misconfiguration of the system.

    Furthermore, the way NESTING is done is very efficient: you just
    create ONE FILE of the size you want, on the partition you choose (on
    the harddisk or usb pen), no matters which filesystem you have (works
    also with windows on your harddisk). The file will be called
    'dynebol.nst' and will store all your data, and it can be encrypted
    with an AES128 algorithm using a 20 chars passphrase! It will be then
    recognized by dyne:bolic at every boot to let you find back your
    files and settings.

    All this is possible with dyne:bolic in a few clicks! check out the
    'taschino' graphical installer included in the config tools and
    create your nest - and if you want to get rid of it it's very simple,
    just delete the dynebol.nst file in the root directory of the
    partition where you installed it!

    The NESTING will keep being a stable solution for data storage in
    dyne:bolic, tools for managing the nest and customize its attributes
    are allready under development. This feature has been ideated and
    implemented by jaromil, currently developing the software tools that
    render it reality.

:: XBOX game console support

    Dyne:bolic runs on MODDED XBOX consoles, which means XBOX consoles
    which have been modified to run softwares that are not signed by
    micro$loth. This features lets you get out a decent computer,
    perfectly suitable for a surf station or for a CLUSTER node, out of a
    simple and CHEAP toy as a game console.

    Considering that the occidental christmas is approaching, with its
    consumistical waste of stuff, get ready to load a truck with old XBOX
    models sold at cheap prices, then go and make a cluster supercomputer
    out of old toys, booting them with your dyne:bolic CD!

    XBOX support has been made possible thanks to the great work that the
    linux-xbox.sf.net project has been doing in the past year, plus the
    development activity of Smilzo, who is now looking forward to tweak
    more upcoming toys and turn them into a productive dyne:bolic
    station.

:: PUBLICVOICE.FM

    Thanks to the collaboration of PUBLIC VOICE Lab and the recent
    support from the Open Source Streaming Alliance, dyne:bolic can offer
    to its users seamless integration with an online streaming server as
    publicvoice.fm which aims to be a broadcasting point for free and
    indypendent online radios.

    This feature is currently under development, but allready usable in
    its testing phase. If you are doing online radio and you are looking
    for a broadcast server, you can consider to join the community around
    the publicvoice.fm server, shaping itself in a way that can be
    sustainable for its bandwidth costs and, most important thing,
    FREE AS OF SPEECH!

:: TOP QUALITY SOFTWARES

    Dyne:bolic includes many softwares, result of the great work being
    done by the GNU/Linux free software community thru the past 10 years.
    To mention just a few of them:

      Mp4Live, lets you stream mpeg4 audio and video on darwin server
      FreeJ, to perform on video livesets as a freejay
      MuSE, to mix and stream your voice and sound files live on the net
      HasciiCam, to have a cool (h)ascii webcam, also on low bandwidth
      TerminatorX, GDam, SoundTracker and PD, to perform with live audio
      Kino, Cinelerra and LiVES, to edit and publish video clips
      Audacity and ReZound, to edit audio and add effects on it
      Gimp, the GNU image manipulation software to edit your pictures
      Blender, one of the most powerful 3d modeling and rendering tools
      AbiWord and Ted, to read edit and save any kind of word file
      Bluefish, to generate and edit your html webpages
      Sylpheed and Gpa, to send and receive mails, with full encryption
      Lopster, which lets you do filesharing over winmx and gnutella
      Samba, to easily exchange data over shared directories in LANs
      XChat, linphone and other messaging softwares for fast comunication
      VNC and RDesktop to remotely access any Win or Unix desktop
      Lots of network tools, for analysis and poweruser access to the net
      Xfe, an intuitive local file browser recognizing all file types
      GCombust, to easily burn data on CDs on machines with a cd-burner
      XRmap, to easily browse the world geography and the CIA factbook
      And, last but not least, lots of great games also to be played
      in multiplayer mode, online with your friends running dyne:bolic!

    In the user's manual is being collected information on each
    software distributed in dyne:bolic, including the homepage, where to
    find the specific software's manual, the author's name and the year
    in which it was started; so that you can start to move your first
    steps in this brave GNU world with dyne:bolic, getting in touch with
    the wider world and communities surrounding it.

:: WIDE DEVICE SUPPORT

    One of the main task in developing dyne:bolic has been the effort to
    support as much hardware devices being found around, autodetecting
    them. So far, this support stand to a good and satisfactory point:
    most computers, especially desktop computers, are supported, while
    some laptops might have problems - but anyway dyne:bolic was thought
    especially for people not having a laptop, making them able to carry
    all their data and operating system in a small usb-key and a CD.

    Regarding specific devices, we have support for PS2 and USB mouse and
    keyboards, USB connected storage devices and photo cameras, FIREWIRE
    video cameras, serial and ADSL modems, TV cards and sound cards,
    cdrom and burners, webcams and more. The best way to proceed to check
    the support for your device is to verify if it is included into the
    2.4.20 Linux kernel: dyne:bolic includes all of its modules, and
    more.

    Also most VGA cards are supported, then dyne:bolic will run in
    1024x768 higher resolution (being able to switch to other modes); in
    particular on Matrox and i810 cards there is also support for 3d
    acceleration. It might work on other cards too, but i have only those
    to test at the moment.

    Of course there are always a few exceptions to this support list and
    you can help us to make it better with bugreporting :) also consider
    that as they will come out new devices and dyne:bolic will get older,
    it might be the case that it will support less configurations. So if
    you are reading this after one year of its release, consider
    upgrading to the latest version of dyne:bolic before resigning to
    your problems!

:: AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS

    dyne:bolic GNU/Linux in its 1.0 version is RASTA SOFTWARE :) by me
    jaromil http://rastasoft.org i'm also author of the included
    softwares MuSE, FreeJ and HasciiCam, as well of other scripts and
    configuration softwares.

    game console support and help in development has been contributed by
    Smilzo http://sfrajone.org who is a great hacker and hardware expert
    old friend of mine, we are born in the same city in south italy :)

    significative support in development has been also contributed by
    bomboclat http://autistici.org/loa/bomboclat also author of bolic1
    another console based distribution, slick tool for network analysis

    and last but not least has to be mentioned the contribution of
    c1cc10 http://autistici.org/loa/c1cc10 another author of bolic1
    as well member of the LOA hacklab, source of many useful solutions

    also the following people contributed, in alphabetical order:
    Lobo (karma and knowledge), Maox (logo and pix), MiSt (xbox mentor)
    Newmark (perl alla romana), Nightolo (muse gtk), Rubik (muse ncurses)
    Tx0 (frozen camel), and evem more with useful advices and testing:
    Alpt, Grzesiek, Kysucix, Martin, Sandolo, Rageman....

    Help with online documentation was given by: Isazi, Quique, Ali
    Uelke, Thomas Hassan, Ricardo Perry, Marco Herrn, Tommaso Gagliardi,
    Patrice.

    i hope i'm being complete here, forgive me if i forgot anyone and
    notice me to be included in the credits for further releases:
    mantaining such a documentation is an hard task, believe me.

    This CD includes the work of hundreds of people all around the world
    developing free software and GNU/Linux applications, without the
    efforts of this big communities dyne:bolic would have never existed,
    among the others are gnu.org and the Free Software Foundation,
    kernel.org, xfree86.org, mozilla.org and even more...

    You are welcome to join us!
    the dyne:bolic mailinglist you can reach from dynebolic.org
    the irc channel #dynebolic on irc.autistici.org

:: SOLONG, AND THANKS FOR THE FISH!

    Thanks to the many people that is supporting us and is contributing
    to the development with bugreports, ideas, visions, fixes, donations,
    ospitality, support, food  :) special thanks to our sponsors:

    == SPONSOR
    TENOVIS (Intl) http://tenovis.com

    == PARTNER SUPPORT
    PUBLIC VOICE Lab (Vienna) http://pvl.at
    SERVUS.at (Linz) http://servus.at

    == TACTICAL SUPPORT
    Digimetrica (Pescara) http://www.digimetrica.com
    European Social Forum http://www.fse-esf.org
    JuX project (Vienna) http://netbridge.at
    Ljudmila (Ljubljana) http://www.ljudmila.org
    Makrolab (Anywhere) http://makrolab.ljudmila.org
    MALASystem (Milano) http://malasystem.com
    MAMA institute (Zagreb) http://mi2.hr
    Montevideo (Amsterdam) http://montevideo.nl
    Mur.at (Graz) http://mur.at
    OSSA (Intl) http://streamingalliance.org
    Stream on the fly (EU) http://streamonthefly.com
    Xs4All (Amsterdam) http://xs4all.nl

    == INDIVIDUAL SUPPORT
    Adam Hyde, Blicero, Fedor Veltman, Marko Peljhan,
    Markus Panholzer, Massimo di Bernardo, Robert de
    Geus, Roland Alton-Scheidl, Stefano Chiccarelli,
    Zeljko Blace

    Waves and cheers also go to:
    NeURo, Neural.it, cjm di enemy.org, Luca Lampo per la camicia :)
    littlejohn, Odo grand visir di mufhd0, kobaiashi di sikurezza.org
    Tommaso aka m_0, Dolce, chmod, radio Ondarossa, enuzzo, void, Dindon
    il carbonaro, #mdp and all the hackers at dyne.org

    And all the kind people and users donating some little money or
    hardware, thru all the world: THANKS! especially for understanding
    the ecosystem of generosity that keep this whole project existing!

:: THATS ALL FOLKS!

    So what you are doing here, still reading all this documentation,
    aren't you courious to see what i'm talking about? :) go and boot
    dyne:bolic on your machine and join our user community mailinglist!
    we're all waiting for your partecipation and contribution to the
    development of this tool. And remember that everyone's contribution
    is very important to keep dyne:bolic alive, so don't exhitate and
    share your vision and knowledge with us!

    A THOUSAND FLOWERS WILL BLOSSOM!

    ciao :)

- --
  jaromil,  dyne.org rasta coder,  http://rastasoft.org

  dyne:bolic GNU/Linux liveCD      http://dynebolic.org
  MuSE Streamer v0.8.1             http://muse.dyne.org
  FreeJ v0.5 - free the veejay!    http://freej.org
  HasciiCam v0.9.1                 http://hascii.org
  FARAH in Palestine               http://farah.dyne.org

--

copyleft (todos os direitos ao reves) by nilo casares

beijos em espiral:: besos en espiral:: besades en espiral:: baisers
en spirale:: baci a spirale:: spiral kisses :: spiral kyssar::
spiraalzoenen:: pocalunki spiralowe

para mensagens com adjuntos >1mb nilo.casares @ ono.com (sem espacos)
aviso previo do envio ao nilo @ uv.es (sem espacos)