[Presos] (ca) ACCION URGENTE POR PELTIER

Uhuru maldoror at avant.pangea.org
Sun Apr 7 16:31:31 CEST 2002

Posibilidad para Peltier si actuamos ahora!
Por favor, reenviad masivamente!

Accion urgente!: Presiona al Comite Gubernamental de Enmiendas para
que investigue el caso de Peltier!

El Comite Gubernamental de Enmiendas esta llevando a cabo audiencias
referentes a posibles errores del FBI relacionados con
encarcelamientos erroneos. Esas audiencias fueron impulsadas por las
puestas en libertad de dos hombres de Boston que fueron victimas de
montajes incriminatorios por parte del FBI y mantenidos erroneamente
en prision durante mas de 32 años. Sus dos compañeros acusados,
tambien inocentes, murieron en prision. El Congresista Burton, que
dirije el comite, dijo en el programa de TV "60 minutes" que estaria
investigando otros casos. Hagamosle saber acerca del caso de
Peltier!!.
Escribe, y pide a tus amigos, familiares y vecinos que escriban
cartas. Debajo hay un simple modelo de carta para que lo utilices.
Gracias.

Leonard Peltier Defense Committee
PO BOX 583
Lawrence, KS 66044
Telf:785-842-5774
www.freepeltier.org
---------------------------
CARTA MODELO: (hay que enviarla en ingles!)

Honorable Dan Burton Chairman, Government Reform Committee 2157 Rayburn
House Office Bldg. Washington, DC 20515 - USA

Dear Congressman Burton,

Recently you spoke out about the case of James Salvati, who was
imprisoned for 32 years for a crime the FBI knew he did not commit.
This is a terrible miscarriage of justice and I am grateful that you
will be pressing for further investigations regarding this and other
injustices of a similar nature.

I would like to bring your attention to a case remarkably similar to
that of Mr. Salvati's: the case of American Indian Movement activist,
Leonard Peltier. Leonard Peltier has been imprisoned for 26 years,
following his highly controversial conviction of the 1975 murders of
two FBI agents. Amnesty International, the Archbishop Desmond Tutu,
and Coretta Scott King,
amongst many other human rights leaders, consider Mr. Peltier a
political prisoner and have called for his immediate release.

During Mr. Peltier's trial, the FBI and U.S. Prosecutors emphatically
swore that every FBI document had been handed over to the defense.
Yet, a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit would force the release of
over 12,000 FBI documents that had in fact been withheld. Had the
jury been able to consider this evidence at trial, Mr. Peltier would
undoubtedly be free.

Among the documents was a formerly concealed ballistic test, which
proved that the fatal bullets could not have come from the gun tied
to Mr. Peltier at trial. The exposure of the test prompted the U.S.
Prosecutor to admit during subsequent oral arguments, "we can't prove
who shot those agents". The Eighth Circuit found that "There is a
possibility that the jury would have acquitted Leonard Peltier had
the records and data improperly withheld from the defense been
available to him in order to better exploit and reinforce the
inconsistencies casting strong doubts upon the government's case."
Yet, a new trial was denied. Judge Heaney, who authored the denial
now supports Mr. Peltier's release, stating that the FBI used improper
tactics to gain Mr. Peltier's conviction.

Moreover, the FBI continues to withhold over 6000 documents
pertaining to the Peltier case today. We are convinced that these
files contain even more critical information. We also note that Mr.
Peltier's conviction is deeply rooted in a three year period of
intense political violence on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.
During this period, the FBI cooperated with a brutal tribal chairman
and his hired vigilantes who sought to rid the reservation of
American Indian Movement (AIM) activity and sentiment. More than 60
traditional tribal members and AIM activists were murdered and scores
more were assaulted or otherwise terrorized.

Given all of the above, I am asking you to include the Peltier case
in your investigations. We also request the subpoena of the 6000 FBI
documents that remain secret. Thank you for your time and
consideration to this matter and we hope your efforts to bring about
accountability in the Salvati case are successful.

Sincerely,

MIEMBROS DEL COMITE GUBERNAMENTAL DE ENMIENDAS:

Dan Burton, IN, Chairman
Henry A. Waxman, CA
Benjamin A. Gilman, NY
Tom Lantos, CA
Constance A. Morella, MD
Major R. Owens, NY
Christopher Shays, CT
Edolphus Towns, NY
Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, FL
Paul E. Kanjorski, PA
John M. McHugh, NY
Patsy T. Mink, HI
Stephen Horn, CA
Carolyn B. Maloney, NY
John L. Mica, FL
Eleanor Holmes Norton, DC
Thomas M. Davis III, VA
Elijah E. Cummings, MD
Mark E. Souder, IN
Dennis J. Kucinich, OH
Steven C. LaTourette, OH
Rod R. Blagojevich, IL
Bob Barr, GA
Danny K. Davis, IL
Dan Miller, FL
John F. Tierney, MA
Doug Ose, CA
Jim Turner, TX
Ron Lewis, KY
Thomas H. Allen, ME
Jo Ann Davis, VA
Janice D. Schakowsky, IL
Todd Russell Platts, PA
Wm. Lacy Clay, MO
Dave Weldon, FL
Diane E. Watson, CA
Chris Cannon, UT
Stephen F. Lynch
Adam Putnam, FL
Butch Otter, ID
Ed Schrock, VA
John Duncan, TN
Bernard Sanders, VT

Para cualquier pregunta/problema escribe a:
brc-pp-pow-owner at egroups.com

end

ENVIADO por alguien a ALGUIEN