[Grey-Walter] [info] Me ha llegado esto de la lista Alergic: Group decision-making in animals

xabier xabier at sindominio.net
Mon Jan 13 11:57:26 CET 2003

Nature 421, 155 - 158 (2003); doi:10.1038/nature01294

Group decision-making in animals

L. CONRADT AND T. J. ROPER

School of Biological Sciences, University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QG, UK

Groups of animals often need to make communal decisions, for example
about which activities to perform, when to perform them and which
direction to travel in; however, little is known about how they do so.
Here, we model the fitness consequences of two possible decision-making
mechanisms: 'despotism' and 'democracy'. We show that under most
conditions, the costs to subordinate group members, and to the group as
a whole, are considerably higher for despotic than for democratic
decisions. Even when the despot is the most experienced group member, it
only pays other members to accept its decision when group size is small
and the difference in information is large. Democratic decisions are
more beneficial primarily because they tend to produce less extreme
decisions, rather than because each individual has an influence on the
decision per se. Our model suggests that democracy should be widespread
and makes quantitative, testable predictions about group decision-making
in non-humans.

--

                   "la obediencia empieza por la consciencia
                       y la consciencia por la desobediencia"

          Debian gnu/linux sid :: kernel 2.4.18
      xabier barandiaran      www.sindominio.net/~xabier
      Metabolik BioHacklab  www.sindominio.net/metabolik