[hackmeeting] Fwd: FC: Newsbytes, R.I.P.

merce en grn.es merce en grn.es
Lun Jun 3 16:15:03 CEST 2002

 argggg

Newsbytes era uno de los mas veteranos, confiables y mejores sitios de
informacion de la red. Byez, free words

M&M

########### INFORMATION WANTS TO BE FORWARDED ###########

FC: Newsbytes, R.I.P.
31/05/2002

[Hope all the Newsbytes reporters on Politech have remembered to
switch their subscriptions to wpni.com! Newsbytes.com is now
offline. (So much for the many links pointing to the site.) :(
--Declan]

---

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3_1136291

   Business
   May 16, 2002
   Washington Post Co. to Shutter Newsbytes
   By Thor Olavsrud
   The Washington Post Co. will shut down its Newsbytes online IT news
   service on May 31, a source close to the company told InternetNews.com
   Thursday.

   While the company would neither confirm nor deny the shutdown,
   Washtech/Newsbytes Publisher Valerie Voci told InternetNews.com: "We
   currently publish two technology Web sites for the Washington Post Co.
   and we are consolidating our online tech coverage."

   "I think the Washington Post is making a mistake," the source said.

   Another source inside the company said the Washington Post Co. will
   announce a number of changes to its online tech news coverage in the
   near future.

   [...]

---

[Newsbytes.com now redirects to the Washington Post tech section. It
looks
like not only are the old newsbytes.com links dead, but that as Brian
says
below, the content is not searchable on washingtonpost.com.

 From a former Newsbytesian: "There are no Newsbytes reporters left.
The DC
crew that was with Newsbytes moved over to Washtech about a month
ago, and
the rest of us were laid off. Newsbytes is not only offline, it is
effectively dead. Its only remnant will be in name only, as I
understand
it, and that will be only as a brand for whatever WPNI does with its
online
syndication products from here on out." --Declan]

---